Thursday 4 August 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Book Review & Thoughts

It's finally out!

The wait is finally over, the script has finally landed in stores.

I got to go to my first ever midnight release of a book, and I'm super happy it was this one.

Indigo had a great event on: with music from the films, colouring pages, temporary tattoos and stickers.

When the time came we all finally got the script. I also got a Midnight Magic Launch Tote bag to go along with the book.

I was lucky enough to take this picture as they unboxed the magical books from their cardboard boxes (Sorry for those who had to wait but I had to take this picture!)

Author: J.K Rowling, Jack Thorne & John Tiffany

Genre: Fantasy/Play-Script
Publisher: Scholastic


ISBN: 0751565350

Available: Hardcover, E-Book                                                 Released: 31st July 2016


Rating: 6/10

Links: Goodreads Pottermore Play Amazon.com B&N Indigo




Synopsis:

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.


It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children

.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.




Review:

I loved it!


Now don't get me wrong- I wish there was more detail. It is missing the essence of the other seven books. But, to me that's completely understandable.


Many critics I feel have been too harsh- far too many places have advertised the book as an eighth story. But that's not what it is, it's a script from a play- it should have never been advertised it was. That was their own mistake. It's a shame how many people have been disappointed with it, everyone had high expectations.


I personally feel as a script it was fantastic. It's exactly what Harry Potter fans needed- it has everything we love.

It was great to finally get a chance to find out what life is like being a child of Harry, as well as how Harry has been coping now the Wizarding War has ended and Voldemort had been defeated.

I loved learning more about how Hogwarts is coping after the wizarding war, how the teachers are coping and how the Ministry of Magic had rebuilt itself.

I've seen some people say that it's like fanfiction but if J.K Rowling is happy then so am I.



Let me know your thoughts in the comments! 
What did you think about the script? What about the characters?

2 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same way! I think most people set their expectations way too high, and were disappointed. But I went in knowing it was a script and NOT an actual eighth book in the series, and I was happy with it.

    Lindsey

    (My 'Cursed Child' review)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you agree! I was happy with it and its a shame so many aren't....

      Delete