Wednesday 29 March 2017

REVIEW: Caraval by Stephanie Garber

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult,
Mystery

Publisher: Flatiron Books

ISBN: 1250095255

Format: Hardback/Paperback/E-book
Audio-book

Published: January 31st 2017


Links: Goodreads Amazon.com 
Instagram Website Indigo B&N
Twitter


Rating: 7/10


Summary:

Whatever you've heard about Caraval, it doesn't compare to the reality. It's more than just a game or a performance. It's the closest you'll ever find to magic in this world . . .

Welcome, welcome to Caraval―Stephanie Garber’s sweeping tale of two sisters who escape their ruthless father when they enter the dangerous intrigue of a legendary game.



Scarlett has never left the tiny island where she and her beloved sister, Tella, live with their powerful, and cruel, father. Now Scarlett’s father has arranged a marriage for her, and Scarlett thinks her dreams of seeing Caraval, the far-away, once-a-year performance where the audience participates in the show, are over.


But this year, Scarlett’s long-dreamt of invitation finally arrives. With the help of a mysterious sailor, Tella whisks Scarlett away to the show. Only, as soon as they arrive, Tella is kidnapped by Caraval’s mastermind organizer, Legend. It turns out that this season’s Caraval revolves around Tella, and whoever finds her first is the winner.

Scarlett has been told that everything that happens during Caraval is only an elaborate performance. But she nevertheless becomes enmeshed in a game of love, heartbreak, and magic with the other players in the game. And whether Caraval is real or not, she must find Tella before the five nights of the game are over, a dangerous domino effect of consequences is set off, and her sister disappears forever.


Review:



This book was on my radar a few days before it was released. I had only seen the british cover (black and gold) and was automatically drawn towards it. Just look at that cover! I then went on to read the summary and ordered it off Book Depositry a few days later. Also, each British cover has one of various designs: a top hat, circus tent, rose, dress or a watch. Happily, I recieved the rose edition.



Let's start off by mentioning that Fox has already bought the rights for this book- and boy can I see why.


Rather than focusing on a boy/girl relationship the author focuses on two sisters, Scarlett and Tella. I loved this about the story. Sure, there is a boy involved but he isn't the main relationship focuses. It was a nice break to other books that do the opposite.

I also loved the world building- I wish there had been more of it. It would be great to learn about the land around where Caraval takes place. I also would love to learn more details about inside Caraval itself- I'm sure it holds many more secrets.

As much as I enjoyed the book (I finished it within two days!), I do feel it was overhyped. After hearing so much about it I was expecting so much more.

Do I reccomend it? Well, yes. Just because I felt it was overhyped doesn't mean it isn't a great read and I did enjoy it. I just don't think the 'hype' met my expectations. But hey, that's just me.


Let me know your thoughts down below!
What did you love? What did you dislike?

No comments:

Post a Comment