Monday 3 April 2017

REVIEW: Ever the Hunted by Erin Summerill

Genre: Fantasy/Young Adult/Romance

Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers

ISBN: 0544664450

Format: Hardback/Paperback/E-book/Audio-book

Published: Dec 27th 2016


Links: Goodreads Amazon.com B&N
Indigo Website


Rating: 6/10


Synopsis:


Seventeen year-old Britta Flannery is at ease only in the woods with her dagger and bow. She spends her days tracking criminals alongside her father, the legendary bounty hunter for the King of Malam—that is, until her father is murdered. Now outcast and alone and having no rights to her father’s land or inheritance, she seeks refuge where she feels most safe: the Ever Woods. When Britta is caught poaching by the royal guard, instead of facing the noose she is offered a deal: her freedom in exchange for her father’s killer.

However, it’s not so simple.

The alleged killer is none other than Cohen McKay, her father’s former apprentice. The only friend she’s ever known. The boy she once loved who broke her heart. She must go on a dangerous quest in a world of warring kingdoms, mad kings, and dark magic to find the real killer. But Britta wields more power than she knows. And soon she will learn what has always made her different will make her a daunting and dangerous force.



Review:



Now, I loved this book. Truly I did. I put this book on my tbr list after seeing it all over the instagram and youtube bookish community. Then, I heard it was meant to be a Beauty and the Beast retelling.  I finally started reading it this month. But, after seeing it 'hyped-up' my expectations were high... too high.



Let's start with the world building. I love the conflicts between the two lands- though it's not something that hasn't been done before. I wish there had been more of it. I couldn't completely picture where they lived and the differences between the two lands. I'd also love to learn more about Channellers though since it isn't a stand-alone novel, I'm sure (and hope) we will learn more later on in the series.


I wish there was more character development. Our main character is Britta, a young girl who lost her Mother at a young age due to the conflicts between the two lands. We also have her love interest, Cohen.
Now, I did love the two characters don't get me wrong. But, I wish there had been more development between the two of them. I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that I felt like something was off between the two of them.

Overall, well... I just found the book way too fast paced. Everything happened so quickly that by the end of it I was left slightly disappointed. I know this is only the first book in the Clash of Kingdoms series and I am looking forward to the next installment. I guess I was just expecting a LOT more from a book that was so hyped as it was for me.

Do you feel the same? Was the book fast paced for you?



No comments:

Post a Comment