Thursday 6 April 2017

REVIEW: Dream A Little Dream by Kerstin Gier

Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy

Publisher: Henry Holt & Co

ISBN: 1627790276

Orignal Language: German

Translated by: Anthea Bell

Format: Hardback/Paperback/E-book


Rating: 9/10



Synopsis:

Mysterious doors with lizard-head knobs. Talking stone statues. A crazy girl with a hatchet. Yes, Liv's dreams have been pretty weird lately. Especially the one where she's in a graveyard at night, watching four boys conduct dark magic rituals.


The strangest part is that Liv recognizes the boys in her dream. They're classmates from her new school in London, the school where she's starting over because her mom has moved them to a new country (again).
But what's really scaring Liv is that the dream boys seem to know things about her in real life, things they couldn't possibly know--unless they actually are in her dreams? Luckily, Liv never could resist a good mystery, and all four of those boys are pretty cute....


Review:



I'm super excited to share my thoughts on this book with you guys.

A few of you may already know the Ruby Red trilogy (I've yet to read them all). I hadn't heard about this trilogy until I found it on Book Outlet for an amazing deal.

This book was a quick read and I loved the narrative voice. Liv is a great character, with a strong voice.  She has a distinct voice, and it's great to watch the story unfold from her perspective. She joins the boys and their bizarre rituals, but mostly she wants to help them, and wants to prove to herself that demons aren't real. The boys tried to summon a demon who will grant their hearts' desire. On Halloween. Wild. Good idea.


The four boys (one being her step-brother) are entertaining and funny. Each has a varying personality, Jasper being witty, not taking things seriously. Grayson is serious and protective. Henry is the mysterious type and Arthur, well he's an interesting one that's for sure.


A favourite aspect was the Liv and her sisters relationship. You'd expect her younger sister to be annoying to wits end, but not this one. She's funny, mature and isn't afraid to throw her voice out there.

The story is entertaining and thrilling with some twists that I didn't expect. I'm super excited to read the second book and the conclusion to the trilogy when it is released in May.

My worry is that the books are going to be dragged out. I loved the first book and I'm sure I'll love the second as well. I can only assume new conflicts are going to arise, which hey I'm not going to complain if there is.

We should also take note that the books are translated from German. Maybe some things are changed or different from the orginal.
I don't know German so I can't say how well the translation is from the orginal. But I did enjoy it.

Do I reccomend the books? Well the first one 100%. It's a fun and quick read.
The second? I'll let you know when I get around to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment