Tuesday 21 November 2017

REVIEW: Broken Moon by Sarah Beth Moore

Image from Goodreads
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Dystopian

Publisher: New Leaf Writing

ASIN: B0771THTKG

Release Date: November 21st 2017

Format: E-Book


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com

Instagram, Twitter, LinkTree
Website


Rating: 8/10



Synopsis:


What if you discovered human souls are real, but about to become extinct… and you were the only one who could stop it? 
Living a thousand feet above the ground in metal slums piled upon the detritus of decades, Naiya Barrigan makes a decent living culling through the wreckage of 21st century humanity and selling what she finds to the highest bidder. 

But that doesn’t mean life is perfect: demonic guards stalk the streets, mothers owe their firstborn children to the authoritarian Party, and Naiya’s pregnant sister has just turned up bone-thin, childless and dead. 

This disturbing incident kicks off other revelations, such as Naiya’s membership in the ancient family line that oversees the link between the mortal world and Terminus, where souls await rebirth between lives. Unfortunately, the Party has discovered this too, and soon Naiya is on the run. 

(Read more at Goodreads here)



Review:


**I was sent this book for free by the author in return for my honest review**


So this book is actually from a fellow bookstagram (@newleafwriter); she posts beautiful photos so be sure to check her out!

Sarah is a fantastic writer. She has previously released non-fiction that I have yet to read but I'm super happy and grateful that I had the opportunity to read her first fiction novel. I loved the different themes explored throughout the novel such as grief, depression, identity and purpose. It helps it become more real rather than words upon paper. 

The main character, Naiya Barrigan, has two adopted brothers and I loved the close family-bond that they had. Naiya was a wonderfully written character. She's a strong female who isn't afraid to stick up for what is right and who she cares about. I loved her journey of self-discovery throughout the novel.

All of the characters were brilliantly written and I loved seeing their development throughout the novel. We get to see how characters grow closer as well as their journey and hardships that they face.

The story is thrilling and exciting. The threat of The Party follows our main characters throughout the story and they don't know who to trust. At no point did I find that the story dragged and it also didn't ever feel rushed. There was constant action along with a lingering threat that kept me hooked and reading until the very end. The writing is entertaining and exciting; I felt myself feeling worried for the characters and the situations that they found themselves in.

I would 100% recommend this novel to fans of a dystopian setting. The world-building was fantastic (thought I would have personally liked more), it was action packed and had a great cast of characters. I gave this an 8/10 (or 4 stars) which it is more than worthy of. I can't wait to see what Sarah comes up with next!




No comments:

Post a Comment