Thursday 28 December 2017

Bookmas Day Eight: Bookish Decorations #3


Welcome to day 8 of Bookmas- this time featuring some more bookish decorations!

So, let's jump right into it.



Sands of Time Bottle



What you'll need:

  • Yellow glitter OR sand
  • Potion bottle
  • String (optional)
  • Sands of Time potion label (optional)
  • Mod-podge
  • Super glue
  • Funnel

This one was something I came up with sort of last minute but I love how it turned out. It's also super easy to make.

First up, take your yellow glitter or sand and use a funnel to pour it into the potion bottle. You can put as much or as little as you'd like. Then put the top back on and use super glue to secure it shut.

You can add string to hang the bottle on the tree or keep it as a trinket to display. I also printed a potion label that I found here and used mod-podge to stick it to the bottle. 








Squid Ink Potion


What you'll need:
  • Clear Glue
  • Black paint OR black food-dye
  • String (optional)
  • Mod-podge
  • Squid ink label (optional)
  • Stirring stick
  • Super glue
  • Potion bottle

This one is sort of inspired by Harry Potter or it could be from the T.V show Once Upon a Time. Squid Ink is featured in both of these. I based mine of the one found in Once Upon a Time but it is entirely up to you!

So, start off by pouring glue into the potion bottle. Then add a few drops of black paint OR black food-dye into the glue and use a stirring stick to mix it. You could also do this before adding it to the potion bottle.

I finished it off by using super glue to seal the lid of the potion bottle and adding string to hang it on a Christmas tree. I also printed off a potion label that I found here and used mod-podge to stick it to the bottle. After that, you're all done!







Unicorn Skin



What you'll need:
  • Silver Flakes
  • Potion bottle
  • Printed label (optional)
  • String (optional)
  • Super glue
  • Tweezers

While looking for gold flakes at my local dollar store I found silver flakes. I just had to pick them up and come up with a decoration for them! So I decided to create a Unicorn skin potion bottle!

This one is super simple to achieve. All you need to do is take some of the silver flakes and put them into the potion bottle. I used tweezers to make it easier. After, use super glue to secure the cork into the potion bottle.

I then printed a label that I made on word and use mod-podge to stick it onto the bottle and finally added string so it can be hung on a Christmas tree!








Mermaid Magic, Elf Magic and Fairy Magic



What you'll need:
  • Potion bottles
  • Glitters
  • Funnel
  • Mod-podge
  • Super glue

Using different glitters you can come up with any 'magic potion' that you would like. So I'm going to show you three different ones I made using different glitters.

For mermaid magic, I used a variety of blue glitters, a light purple glitter and silver glitter. I simply added them to a potion bottle with a funnel and shook it to mix the glitter together. 

To create Fairy magic, I used a pink/purple glitter and used a funnel to pour it into a bottle. 

For Elf magic, I used a mix of light and dark green glitters and silver glitter. I mixed them together and added it to a bottle using a funnel.

After I created labels on word and printed them out. I decided to make the mermaid magic label look more worn by tearing at the edges. To attach the labels to the bottle I used mod-podge and finished it off by using super glue to secure the cork to the bottle.

As long as you have a good imagination you can came up with a wide variety of 'magic potions' to use as decorations or trinkets.





And that's the end of day 8 and the last of my bookish decorations. If you would like to see more in future blog posts be sure to let me know down in the comments.

If you create your own be sure to tag me on my Twitter or Instagram!

Check back tomorrow for day 9 of Bookmas here on my blog!






No comments:

Post a Comment