Wednesday 20 December 2017

Bookmas Day Three: Bookish Decorations



Welcome to day three of my Bookmas journey!

I'm super excited to share some bookish decorations with all of you. Today's post will cover a few with more crafts/decorations appearing in some later blog posts!

 Today's decorations will be Harry Potter themed so I hope you enjoy them! 

Now let's get started!





Hogwarts House Points Decoration



What you'll need: 
  • Red beads OR red glitter
  • Yellow/gold beads OR yellow/gold glitter
  • Green beads OR glitter
  • Blue beads OR glitter
  • empty potion bottles OR empty baubles
  • Printed Hogwarts house crests (optional)
  • String (optional)

So I thought I would show you two different ways of achieving this one. You can use either beads or glitter in the appropriate house colours. I actually did Gryffindor/Ravenclaw with beads and Hufflepuff/Slytherin with glitter. The beads can get heavy so the glitter may be better but I loved how the beads look!

All you have to do is take the house colour beads and pour them into whatever you have chosen to use as the decorations. I went for potion bottles that I picked up at the local dollar store but you can also find them on Amazon

I decided to change how much beads/glitter I put in each bottle to make it look more like the house point system but you can fill them however you like. After, I printed the house crests from a template I found online and cut them out. I used mod-podge to glue it to the bottle, added some string and I was done!

You could use these as Christmas decorations on your tree or just as a Harry Potter decorations to add to your collection!







Butterbeer Decoration


What you'll need:
  • Potion Bottle
  • Clear Glue
  • Mustard/yellow paint
  • Super Glue
  • Butterbeer label (optional)
  • String (optional)

I love this decoration and it's one of my favourite that I have made for this blog post! 

So first up,  put clear glue into the potion bottle. Then add a tiny amount of the mustard/yellow paint. I kept adding the paint until the colour resembled Butterbeer and used a toothpick to mix the colour into the glue. You could mix the paint and glue together before putting it into the potion bottle.

Afterwards, I used super glue to seal the cork into the bottle so the Butterbeer inside wouldn't leak or dry out. I decided to print a Butterbeer label and, like before, used mod-podge to stick the label onto the bottle. 

I let the super glue and Butterbeer label dry before tying string around the bottle neck. Again this decoration could be used on your tree or just as a fun craft to add into your Harry Potter collection!









Amortenia Potion


What you'll need:

  • Potion bottle
  • String (optional)
  • Amortenia potion label (optional)
  • Red food colouring OR a red pen
  • Heart hole-puncher (optional)
  • Clear glue

I love this potion (see what I did there?). This one is pretty simple to make but I love how it turned out.

I started by filling the potion bottle with clear glue. I wanted the potion to be somewhat transparent so I put some red ink on my stirring stick and mixed it into the glue. I wasn't sure if this would work but as I had no red food colouring I hoped for the best. In the end the potion isn't quite as red as I was hoping for but the colour works nevertheless.

Now this step is optional; but I picked up a heart hole-puncher from my local dollar store and created quite a few. I coloured these in with my red pen (you can also use red card/paper) and then used my stirring stick to place them into the potion mix. 

In the end it created an awesome look. I love how the mini hearts look within the potion but again that step is entirely optional. I finished it off by printing a amortenia potion label I found online and tied string so it could be hung on a tree. Again, like the majority of these decorations, you could easily exclude the string and just have it to add to your Harry Potter collection!





Skele-Grow Potion


What you'll need:
  • Clear glue
  • Potion bottle
  • White paint
  • String (optional)
  • Skele-grow label (optional)


Again, this potion is super easy to make. All you need to do is add the clear glue into the potion bottle, add a few drops of white paint and mix. Once you've mixed the glue and paint it is finished!

I printed off a Skele-grow label  that I found online and used mod-podge to stick it to the bottle. I added string (which is entirely optional) so I could hang it up on a Christmas tree.










Felix Felicis


What you'll need:
  • Gold glitter
  • Potion bottle
  • Felix Felicis label (optional)
  • String (optional)

I've seen this one made a few different ways but I opted for the gold glitter route. I also think gold leaf flakes would look amazing instead.

So, I used a small funnel to pour the gold glitter into the potion bottle. Then I used super glue to secure the cork in the bottle to make sure no glitter could fall out. And that's basically it.

I decided to print off a Felix Felicis label I found online and, again, added string so I could hang my decoration on a Christmas tree!









That's the end of Bookmas day three! I hope you love making these decorations as much as I did. Be sure to tag me in any pictures on both my Twitter and Instagram. I would love to see what you create!

Be on the lookout for my bookish crafts/decorations coming soon and don't forget to keep an eye out for Bookmas day four tomorrow!





No comments:

Post a Comment