Monday 12 February 2018

REVIEW: Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella

Genre: Contemporary/Romance

Publisher: The Dial Press

ISBN: 0399592881

Format: Hardback, E-Book, Audio-Book

Release Date: 13th Feb 2018


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com
Indigo, B&N, Book Depository

Website, Twitter, Instagram,
Facebook


Rating: 6/10


Synopsis:


After being together for ten years, Sylvie and Dan have all the trimmings of a happy life and marriage; they have a comfortable home, fulfilling jobs, beautiful twin girls, and communicate so seamlessly, they finish each other's sentences. However, a trip to the doctor projects they will live another 68 years together and panic sets in. They never expected "until death do us part" to mean seven decades.
In the name of marriage survival, they quickly concoct a plan to keep their relationship fresh and exciting: they will create little surprises for each other so that their (extended) years together will never become boring. But in their pursuit to execute Project Surprise Me, mishaps arise and secrets are uncovered that start to threaten the very foundation of their unshakable bond. When a scandal from the past is revealed that question some important untold truths, they begin to wonder if they ever really knew each other after all.





Review:




*I was sent this book by Penguin Random House, for free, in return for my honest review**



Honestly, I haven't read a Sophie Kinsella book in years so I wasn't sure what to expect when stepping into this one. But I loved it. The premise of the book is rather simple- a wife and husband coming to terms with spending another 68 years together. The two try to keep their marriage alive by planning 'surprises' for one another. The surprises were great and although some I guessed may happen; I still loved reading Sylvie and Dan's reaction to what they had planned for one another.


Sylvie was written fantastically and I loved her development throughout the novel. I found I had a deeper connection with her than I did her husband, Dan. But I still enjoyed reading about their relationship and the struggles that they go through in everyday life. Their twin daughters were another joy to read about. 

The moments between our main character, Sylvie, and her friends were some of my favourite. Kinsella is fantastic at writing friendship between females and I loved the conversations Sylvie had with her friends. 

Kinsella is a fantastic writer and I love how she manages to shift tones from serious to light. Her books entertain but they also make you think about the world around you and your own life. There are surprises throughout the entire novel, from family drama to the serious and light-hearted moments within marriage. 

It's a fantastic read and although not my favourite of Kinsella's books, I still recommended this book to those who want a light-hearted tale of marriage and romance.







No comments:

Post a Comment