Tuesday 29 August 2017

REVIEW: The Twisted Ones by Scott Cawthon and Kira Breed-Wrisley

Genre: Young Adult/Mystery/Horror

Publisher: Scholastic

ISBN: 1338139304

Release Date: June 27th 2017

Links: GoodreadsAmazon.com, B&N, Indigo
Website


Rating: 7/10



Synopsis:

It's been a year since the horrific events at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza, and Charlie is just trying to move on. Even with the excitement of a new school and a fresh start, she's still haunted by nightmares of a masked murderer and four gruesome animatronic puppets. Charlie thinks her ordeal is over, but when a series of bodies are discovered near her school bearing wounds that are disturbingly familiar she finds herself drawn back into the world of her father's frightening creations. Something twisted is hunting Charlie, and this time if it finds her, it's not letting her go.




Review:




Oh boy was I happy to get my hands on this book.


So for those who don't know, Five Night's at Freddy's started as a video game series which then led to novel spin-offs. You can find my review for book one in the series here.

So where do we begin?

Well the novel takes place exactly a year after the first- with the same main character, Charlie, now in College. We also have Jessica, John and Clay from the previous novel.

There were a lot less characters to keep up with this time round- and boy did that improve my read. If you've read my review of the first book you'll know I found it annoying how many characters there were to keep up with. Thankfully, it wasn't a case with this novel.

Now let's talk about Charlie. She's a pretty fascinating main character. She's strong, determined and brave. With who her Father is it should be no surprise to fans of the series that she goes to College to study computer science. It should also be no surprise that she begins building her own type of animatronic.

I did find it a little strange that she doesn't remember much about her childhood... However, I do have a few theories as to why this may be. I want to keep this review spoiler free but if anyone is interested you can find me on my Instagram account @krimsuunpages where I would be happy to share some.


I particularly loved Clay and his character development. He was a police officer who helped Charlie and her friends escape from horrors in book one. In this novel he has become obsessed with the previous animatronics. This all plays a big part within this novel.


One thing I do find strange is that he's quick to involve Charlie within a police investigation. Now in a lot of ways it makes perfect sense her Father and her past plays a huge part with the investigation.... but.... she is still young.

The overall storyline was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of the games so I may be a little biased. But these books certainly do begin to help tie up a lot of loose ends as well as linking the five games together.

If you are a fan of the games, I highly recommend these books. Even if you aren't a fan of the games maybe the books will draw you in. I certainly didn't put them down until I'd finished them.

No comments:

Post a Comment