Tuesday 20 March 2018

REVIEW: All of This is True by Lygia Day Peñaflor

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary

Publisher: HarperTeen

ISBN: 006267367X

Format: Hardback, Paperback, E-book

Release Date: 15th May 2018


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo
B&N, Book Depository

Website, Twitter,


Rating: 9/10


Synopsis:

Miri Tan loved the book Undertow like it was a living being. So when she and her friends went to a book signing to meet the author, Fatima Ro, they concocted a plan to get close to her, even if her friends won’t admit it now. As for Jonah, well—Miri knows none of that was Fatima’s fault.
Soleil Johnston wanted to be a writer herself one day. When she and her friends started hanging out with her favorite author, Fatima Ro, she couldn’t believe their luck—especially when Jonah Nicholls started hanging out with them, too. Now, looking back, Soleil can’t believe she let Fatima manipulate her and Jonah like that. She can’t believe that she got used for a book.

Penny Panzarella was more than the materialistic party girl everyone at the Graham School thought she was. She desperately wanted Fatima Ro to see that, and she saw her chance when Fatima asked the girls to be transparent with her. If only she’d known what would happen when Fatima learned Jonah’s secret. If only she’d known that the line between fiction and truth was more complicated than any of them imagined. . . .







Review:



**Thanks to Harper Collins Canada for sending me a review copy in return for my honest review**



Who wouldn't love to become friends with their favourite author?

This book is about just that. Soleil Johnston can't believe her luck when her and her friends meet their favourite author, Fatima Ro. But not everything is as it seems and the link between truth and fiction is a lot more complicated than she expected.

I was very excited to receive this arc and I flew through it in a day.

It features multiple points of view which I really enjoyed. I love getting to read from other characters perspectives and I felt a deeper connection to the characters because of it. All the characters have their flaws which only made them seem more realistic and I was able to relate to them even more. However, at times I did confuse a couple of the characters together which does happen at times, for me, while reading multiple perspectives.

The book also uses texts, transcripts, interviews, and journal entries that intertwine with the main story. I always love authors including this type of content and it's something we are starting to see a lot more of in books. There are many twists in the book and one in particular I did see coming. But it didn't stop me from enjoying the book as much as I did.

There were many interesting themes throughout the book that the author explores such as celebrity culture and how obsession can turn into something unhealthy. It features toxic relationship but also how to learn to trust and love those around you. The story of an author manipulating the main characters in order to write a book about their lives is such a creative concept and I couldn't stop reading until the end.

Even if you don't typically enjoy contempory novels I think you might love this one. This mix of mystery and thrill kept me hooked until the very end.

The story was fantastically written and it's definitely one of my favourite reads of the year so far. This book is one that you will speed through and then realize you are at the end because of how captivating it is.








No comments:

Post a Comment