Friday 6 April 2018

REVIEW: The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin

Genre: Fiction, Fantasy

Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons

ISBN: 0735213186

Format: Hardback, Paperback, E-book,
Audio-book

Release Date: 9th Jan 2018


Links: Goodreads, Amazon.com, Indigo
B&N, Book Depository

Website, Instagram, Twitter


Rating: 7/10


Synopsis:

If you were told the date of your death, how would it shape your present?

It's 1969 in New York City's Lower East Side, and word has spread of the arrival of a mystical woman, a traveling psychic who claims to be able to tell anyone the day they will die. The Gold children—four adolescents on the cusp of self-awareness—sneak out to hear their fortunes.
Their prophecies inform their next five decades. Golden-boy Simon escapes to the West Coast, searching for love in '80s San Francisco; dreamy Klara becomes a Las Vegas magician, obsessed with blurring reality and fantasy; eldest son Daniel seeks security as an army doctor post-9/11, hoping to control fate; and bookish Varya throws herself into longevity research, where she tests the boundary between science and immortality.









Review:



**I was sent this book from Penguin Random House Canada in return for my honest review**



I found this book started off slow and I did struggle to get into it. I loved the entire concept of the book so I knew I wanted to keep reading.

The Immortalists begins in 1969, in which Gold siblings pay a visit to a fortune teller who has the ability to tell you what day you shall die. The experience changes them and the actions they take may differ from knowing this information.

It was an interesting, entertaining, fascinating, and a different sort of read that had me reading to find out just how it was going to end. At first, I did really struggle to get into the book. There is a lot to take in and I found the start of the novel too dragged out.

There were also some rather graphic scenes that made me a little uncomfortable. At the same time, these scenes show the rash decisions the main characters make with the knowledge of their date of death. I'm glad I continued reading as I ended up enjoying the story more than I thought I would.

The price of knowing when they shall die plays a heavy role on the siblings. Living with the information really affects their everyday lives and I really loved how Chloe Benjamin went into this. The characters seemed more somber and sad knowing when their live will end. As the story progresses, the characters make rash decisions and incidents occur that seem almost out of character for them. I really felt for the characters and it showed that perhaps knowledge of the future is better left unknown.

I would have loved to read more interactions between the siblings from when they were children. However, overall the story is well told and I ended up enjoying it. It's wonderfully written with the pieces coming together to form a thought provoking book that I really recommend.





No comments:

Post a Comment